We started in June 2014 to provide a fun environment for children and adults alike to start or continue to learn brass instruments and percussion. Daniel Brooks is the main tutor and has many years playing, teaching and conducting experience and loves to pass on his knowledge to others.
We have a Starter Band for raw recruits with a Beginner Band, Training Band and the Red Admiral Music Academy Band for people to progress through as they become more advanced.
- The Starter Band is the ideal place for you to join even if you have never picked up an instrument in your life but just "fancy a go." You will be taught from the absolute basics of how to care for yourself and your instrument whilst learning the beginnings of producing notes and playing a tune.
- The Beginner Band is where you start to put your new skills into practice with simple pieces and learning to play as part of an ensemble.
- The Training Band is the next step where the music is more challenging and you can start to play within the ensemble and as a featured section or soloist as your confidence grows and skills improve.
- The Red Admiral Music Academy Band is our top band which plays the most advanced music including marches and test pieces which are used when they compete in competitions.
We rehearse on Friday evenings at the Parish Centre of SS Peter & Pauls RC Church, Mawdesley (at the junction of Salt Pit Lane / Ridley Lane, please see our Contact Us page for a map).
- Starter Band runs from 4:30pm - 5pm
- Beginner Band runs from 5:15pm - 5:45pm
- Training Band runs from 6pm - 6:45pm
- Red Admiral Music Academy Band runs from 7pm - 8:15pm - we do have a break in the middle where refreshments can be purchased
We also like to keep the social activities up and running so we aim to have about 3 social events per year, as many concerts as we can fit in and a Music Festival to encourage soloists and small ensembles to have some friendly competition. We promote a "Red Admiral Star of the Term" to encourage everyone to play to the best of their abilities and have a number of social media outlets to help you all keep in contact (links available at the top of the page).